Friday, January 25, 2013

Dad's Birthday Card

Well, I have been a busy bee making two cards in one day! I couldn't stop! My poor dog has felt very neglected this week considering I am spending too much time making cards and updating my blog when he is used to me spending hours with him on my lap...but I'm addicted to making cards now!! I'll admit that I do spend time scanning several blogs/sites trying to get inspiration for my cards since I'm so new. I just don't have the "eye" to go it alone just yet. I definitely don't copy something exactly and put my own spin on the cards/envelopes.

This post is specific to my second card ever made, my dad's birthday card. I am a true daddy's girl (although I'm also a momma's girl too! I'm lucky like that! ha) and although I can't be with him on his birthday (lives in a different state), I wanted to make a simple/masculine card for him. Now that I think about it, I did NOT use inspiration for this card from someone else. WOW....maybe I do have an eye for it and just don't give myself enough credit. YAY me! ha
 

Above is the front of the card. It's rather simple but masculine thanks to the color choices. I used Kraft card 5"x7" as it is more masculine than white or cream. I also placed an olive card stock on top of the card, just cutting it 1/4" smaller than the card. I admit that I didn't want to waste an entire 5"x7" piece of paper so I used my new handy dandy Gazelle (swoon) to cut a frame out basically the only paper used was what you can see (plus about 1/4"). The plaid paper on top of the olive paper was taken from one of my 4.5"x6.5" packets, so no trimming was needed. Although you cannot tell from this photo, the "World's Greatest Dad" is lifted (3D). I also created a frame, using my Gazelle, to place around the 3D phrase.


The above picture is of the inside of the card. I used the same plaid paper as the backdrop for the inside of the card. On top of the plaid, I placed the olive paper, also used on the front of the card, and stamped "Happy Birthday" in two colors to give it a more dimensional look. I used gold on the bottom and then stamped it with black on top of the gold. Underneath the birthday stamp, I placed a tie that I cut out with a blue patterned paper with my Gazelle. That is all it needed. Plain and simple.....masculine.



The back of the card just has a simple heart stamp in pink. It's for my daddy....gotta put some love into this card!!


The above picture is of the front of the envelope. Again, used the Kraft (think paper bag) envelope to match the card. I added three ties (a little smaller than the one on the inside of the card) to the lower left hand corner. Just gives it a little something special.


The above picture is the back of the envelope. I just thought it would be cute to keep with the tie theme and added a little tie (same size as those on the front of the envelope) on the tip of the flap. So when I seal the card, it will look as if it is a seal of sorts. I also added a stamped phrase, "Make a wish" in green.  I love this envelope! It would make me smile to get something like this in the mail!


Above is the final product, front of the card and front of the envelope! Now I just need to write a sweet note and drop it in the mail tonight!!

Products used for this card:

5"x7" Kraft Note Card Value Pack
Textured Green Paper
Plaid Paper
World's Greatest Dad 3-D Embellishment
Happy Birthday Stamp
Make a Wish Stamp
Heart Line Stamp
Gold Ink
Black Ink
Pink Ink
Cardstock for Ties

No comments:

Post a Comment