Friday, February 1, 2013

Get Well Soon Ms. Jewell Card

Back in December I traveled to my sister Pam's house near Knoxville to celebrate her husband's (Kirby) 50th birthday at their church for which Kirby is the minister. During the surprise party I was honored to meet one of the cutest little old ladies ever, Ms. Jewell. She introduced herself as a proud 80 year old woman and was full of spunk and tenacity. She was a pistol for sure. She was an absolute doll so when I sent out Christmas cards, I just had to send her one as well. She in turn sent one to me. Sadly I heard from Pam last week that Ms. Jewell was in critical condition after part of her bowel had exploded. Who knew that could even happen. Scary!! The doctors had only given her about a 2% chance of surviving the surgery. But she did...with flying colors!! The doctors then gave her about a 10% chance of making it out of ICU. But she did and is now doing better than anyone expected. Well, anyone who doesn't know her fighting spirit! Just spending an hour with her during Kirby's birthday party, I never doubted that she had what it took to fight the odds.

With that said, I had to make her a get well card and send it out as soon as possible. Below is the pictures and details about the card.


The picture above is of the front of the card. I used an ivory 5"x6.5" note card and a really cute paisley paper stock cut down to be just slightly smaller than the note card. On top of the paisley paper I placed a matching teal (looks more baby blue in the pictures) paper stock and cut it 1/2" smaller than the paisley paper. Using my Gazelle I cut a frame using hot pink paper stock to place on top of the teal paper. I stamped the teal paper with the sentiment, "Sending caring thoughts your way" with embossing ink and hot pink powder. I don't think the picture shows it well but it looks really nice embossed. I then placed a small teal flower at the top left hand corner of the teal paper and added a teal pearl at the lower right hand corner as well as three teal rhinestones (in different sizes) on each side of the pearl. Nothing too fancy! Just a sweet personalized card.


Using hot pink ink, I stamped another sentiment on the top center of the inside of the card, "You are in our thoughts and prayers." I didn't realize that it said "our" and not "my" until after I stamped the card but then figured that Ms. Jewell is in many people's thoughts and prayers, therefore "our" still worked. :)  At the very bottom I stamped in lime green, "Believe in miracles." I wanted to leave plenty of room for me to write a personal note...which I did and took every centimeter of available space.


Being such a "card" as Ms. Jewell is, I thought adding, "Laughter is the best medicine" to the back of the card was a perfect sentiment.


On the back of the envelope I used the Miracle definition stamp on the flap using hot pink ink. I just thought it was a great first impression/read to a get well card for someone who has obviously had a miraculous recovery so far.


The above picture is the card and envelope together. Just a simple yet sweet get well card for someone who is anything but simple. I was able to make this card in about an hour (I was multi-tasking and designing on the fly) and send the card out same day. I hope Ms. Jewell loves the card and that she continues to improve each day. The world needs more feisty gals like Ms. Jewell.

Products used for this card:

5"x6.5" Ivory Note Card
Paisley Paper Stock
Teal Paper Stock
Hot Pink Paper Stock
Teal Flower Embellishment
Teal Pearl and Rhinestones
Sending Caring Thoughts Stamp
You are in Our Thoughts Stamp
Believe in Miracles Stamp
Laughter is Best Medicine Stamp
Miracle Description Stamp
Embossing Ink
Hot Pink Embossing Powder
Embossing Heat Gun
Rose Bud (Pink) Ink
Lime Green Ink

1 comment:

  1. Pam (Squammy to you)February 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

    I'm sure she loved it! She truly is a marvelous person! What a joy it must have been to receive this card! I know I LOVE the one you made for me!

    ReplyDelete